I feel like the busier life gets, the less I care to cook. Believe it or not, I’m to the point in my life (with 2 girls) where I can appreciate recipes with 5 ingredients or less–like Everyday Detox. I also really love one-pan/pot meals where I can throw everything in the same dish and
set it and forget it cook it without giving it a second thought (check out my Lox frittata). Lately, I’ve resorted to simply sautéing some veggies and roasting meat the quickest way possible. It doesn’t have to be labor intensive to be healthy and delicious.
So, in effort to keep eating healthy and Paleo, I get my unmotivated butt going and exploring easy recipes. I found these yummy sausages at Target, and since Sophia is a little meat eater, I picked them up. I know I rant about dairy, so if it bothers you (or causes your little one to ‘spit up,’ or have mad diaper rash) just find something without. There are plenty of options out there these days, including my favorite brand, Pederson’s.
I was excited to find this recipe on the inside flap and set about making it (and roasting my own bell peppers) in no time. What prompted me to finally share it with you is that I signed up to bring food to our bible study luncheon. You know I like to make my own food, so to ensure that I had something to eat, I signed up for both a bread and casserole. A lot of people may cringe at the word casserole but I have no doubt you will love this recipe and find yourself making it again and again.
Sausage & Egg Casserole
- 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 sausage links of choice (I used Aidells Roasted Garlic & Gruyere Sausage), chopped
- ½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half (or coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 6 oz. provolone cheese, grated (optional)
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 30-40 minutes, Serves: 6-8
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the oil and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in sausage, peppers and half the basil. Spread sausage mixture into a buttered 13″x 9″x 2″ glass or ceramic baking dish.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half (or coconut milk), and half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the sausage mixture in dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese and basil over the top. Bake until golden brown and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.