I can’t believe it’s been two years since I did a fourth of July post. Last year probably passed me by due to being six months pregnant while chasing a toddler. This time around, I’m going to give you two recipes that you can make that are really easy…so no excuses for not whipping these up in a jiffy.
I brought both desserts to our yearly fireworks celebration with good friends of ours, and they were a hit. Every year we go to our friend’s house, swim in their pool and then enjoy the fireworks at around dark-thirty. It’s fun because it’s the weekend before the 4th, so we get to take in lots of fireworks over two weekends.
There’s been an ongoing joke between several of us, about one friend needing to make a fruit pizza (gluten-free, of course), and this year I delivered! I’m pretty notorious for whipping up something last minute, and thanks to my patient hubby, he gave me a few minutes to put it together.
The first one is super easy and the second is from Living Healthy With Chocolate. I love this blog for all things chocolate and especially her Paleo bread…check out Adriana’s blog for amazing, chocolate paleo recipes; you won’t be disappointed!
You can make the first one as big or as little as you want, therefore I don’t have exact measurements.
Fruit Flag Dessert
- strawberries, hulled
1. Soak blueberries and strawberries in a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water.
2. While the berries are soaking, peel and cut bananas (one banana made one row in my 8×8 foil pan).
3. Rinse berries and cut strawberries to desired thickness.
4. Layer strawberries and bananas to fill container. Leave room for blueberries.
5. Serve immediately & enjoy!
Raw Chocolate Brownie Fruit Pizza (Paleo)
- ½ cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- coconut cream*
- diced strawberries, bananas, blueberries
- lemon or lime juice (to keep bananas from browning)
1. Mix together the almond flour, raw cacao powder and salt.
2. Melt the chocolate chips slowly in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler).
3. Once the chocolate melts, remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
4. Gently mix the flour mixture with the chocolate.
5. Line the bottom of an 8-inch round pan with parchment paper (for easy removal later) and spread the batter evenly over the pan.
6. Refrigerate brownie until firm then spread a thin layer of coconut cream over the top.
7. Top it with strawberries, bananas and blueberries and serve. Keep refrigerated.
Note: *coconut cream – cream that forms on the top of a can of full fat coconut milk when left in the fridge overnight.
I hope everyone has a safe and Happy 4th of July!! I’ll be celebrating with these two cuties…
Note: photo from here.